Monday, January 27, 2014

#2 Article- What is Ageism?

What is Ageism?
Ageism is a form of prejudice and discrimination against someone because of their age. A person of any age can face this form of prejudice. Stereotyping and  difficulty finding work are just a few of the problems that people face because of their age. The term Ageism was first used by gerontologist Robert N. Butler. The term was first used to describe prejudice against older adults but it is now used to describe the discrimination of children, teenagers, adults, and senior-citizens. Ageism is also represented in the media. A person of a certain age can be stereotyped in the media which has a larger impact on society. The value that the media places on youth has lead to a larger amount of older adults seeking cosmetic surgery.


Ageism can effect anyone at any age. As a young kid, I remember times when I would say something and get dismissed because I was "too young" to really know what I was talking about. Adults would take my opinion as the opinion of a little kid and not really that important. I feel like this was because I was the youngest in my family. As an 18 year old I definitely will feel the effects of ageism. My parents will say that I need to grow up and become and adult but then say that I'm still a kid and just because I'm 18 doesn't mean I'm an adult. Ageism effects the elderly in many different ways. Most of them have to do with difficulty with jobs such as loosing a job, or not getting a promotion or pay raise because of their age. 

Resources: [x] [x] [x]



2 comments:

  1. #1 i love this topic because especially now with us all being 17-18 years old we are really starting to realize how ageism really does affect us all. it's so upsetting that either being 'too old' or being 'too young' can basically determine if someone can have a job or not. i understand that there are specific jobs that are maybe geared more for the youth or more for the elderly, but everyone should at least get an equal chance. can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 This is very informative! I was confused at first what Ageism was and how it is portrayed today. At one point it says "Ageism can effect anyone at any age." A misconception that I had with this topic is that Ageism just effected younger people. I also found it interesting when I read that Ageism is represented in the media. In the Disney movies, the bad guys are usually old and scary looking. This probably effects younger children in stereotyping that any old and scary person could be evil. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete